Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Car repairs, unused prescriptions and pepper spray

For those of you trying to save a few bucks and do your own car repairs have a listen. Last week I decided to replace the leaky radiator in the Lumina. This after I did a front brake job, not spending a dime, as all the parts were under warranty.

After getting prices of over 800 to replace the radiator I decided to do it myself. The local parts store wanted over 300 for a new radiator so I went on line and found a OEM radiator with shipping for 165.00. Of coarse, driveway mechanics face many hurdles in getting parts for older cars. The tranny lines for the radiator broke and there no longer made by GM, so I had to have the lines made at a local tranny shop. Bottom line, it pays to shop on line and do it yourself if you have the tools, time and space. I saved 500.00 dollars.

A move to help properly dispose of unused prescriptions is making progress in some communities. As you may know, kids are having a drug field day with un used prescription drugs and is one of the most serious environmental assaults on or drinking water. Many components of these drugs have been found in municipal water supplies. Gloucester is leading the way with taking a old US mail box, painting it over and placing it in the local police station. Anyone can drop off these drugs 24/7 and be assured they will be destroyed properly. Winchester, who has had this program since 07 have collected 125,000 pills and 5 boxes of liquid medication. A great idea which should be implemented in every police station in the State.

A move by a Rep from Wrentham would allow us to buy self defense sprays without a FID card. Damm good idea and I hope it makes it to Devals desk.

9 Comments:

At July 23, 2009 at 4:04 PM , Blogger Arnold said...

Lot’s of useful information here. How do we get this prescription drug disposal program into Framingham? Seems like a great idea to me. Nice idea on car repairs, but most of us are not as knowledgeable as you in how to do these things. But with this economy, more of us are opting to fix our cars instead of purchasing a new one. I know I am. Nice to see you back. I came here on a whim after a few weeks of no new postings. Glad to know you are still interested in keeping us informed. Let us know next time you are going to be away for a while. I just assumed you were no longer going to do this so I stopped checking back. Bet lots of us did.

 
At July 24, 2009 at 11:27 AM , Blogger Jim Pillsbury said...

Arnold,

Lot's of projects around the house and was lucky enough to get some beach time with what little sun we had.

I needed a little staycation from the madness. There's so much information out there, so many decisions being made by others that effect our lives by which we have no control over. Add on the 34 days of rain or no sun and I start to wither.

A few good beach days bring me back to life.

 
At July 24, 2009 at 6:11 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

All great ideas if you ask me. However, fixing my car is a bit outside my ability, but the rest is good. Glad to see you back on the blog Pillsbury. We need your insight in the midst of all this crap going on.

 
At July 24, 2009 at 7:14 PM , Blogger Michael said...

How about running a car repair seminar? I have absolutely no knowledge about doing repairs, but have the time to learn now that I am unemployed, and could sure save the money trying to keep an old car running. Seriously, anyone know any good mechanics in the area who work for a decent price and do good work? That's what I need at this point. Missed your updates here Pillsbury. Glad you ahve not deserted us

 
At July 27, 2009 at 8:21 PM , Blogger Jim Pillsbury said...

Michael,

Damn good idea. I'll ask around.

I would not recommend anyone at this point. As someone who is certified in brake and front end repair, many moons ago, restored my MGB and managed car repair shops, I know the troubles I've had with shops that just don't get it right. Ask for an estimate, have them explain what is wrong, don't leave the car with them until you know and can see for yourself what they say is wrong with the car. Ask for the bad parts (with exceptions like exhaust)to be returned. Some repairs on newer cars are better off at the dealership, but that does not mean, they will fix the problem the first time and their labor rates are very high and they flat rate every job. Do a little search on the web for problems with your model and year, sometimes a recall or warranty issue will slip by the car owners and cost you plenty.

 
At July 28, 2009 at 8:42 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Seems like you have lots of knowledge in many areas Pillsbury. What's up with the wind turbine bylaw? I know it went back to the planning board, but how are they going to come up with a bylaw that will work for all? Are you involved in the process? If not, you should be.

 
At July 28, 2009 at 1:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like you have sort of lost interest in this blog Jim. Understandable, everyone needs a vacation. But hope that does not mean you have lost interest in running in 2010. We need some new voices in the race here in Framingham. Will you be back and more active here come the fall?

 
At July 30, 2009 at 11:39 AM , Blogger Jim Pillsbury said...

Eric,

The Wind Turbine By Law has not been on the radar of the Planning Board yet. Carol Spack indicates that maybe in September it will be aired. I'll be ready.

 
At July 30, 2009 at 11:42 AM , Blogger Jim Pillsbury said...

Annon,

No loss of interest here... but the sun only shines of few months a year and I as many do, have lots of work around the homesteads.

Not much going on at the State House, as usual and the Charlie Baker announcement does nothing for our immediate needs.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home