Friday, May 28, 2010

Memorial Day 2010

One day a year this country pays tribute those who have sacrificed so much for our way of life, including their own lives. Millions have gone off to faraway places, volunteered or not, regardless of skin color, political views, families or careers. Many continue to pay a heavy price for their patriotism and devotion to the cause and yet, hundreds of thousands still go to war for us and our way of life.

On the Boston Common, there are 20,000 flags representing those from Mass who have sacrificed their lives. We still have 38 or so servicemen unaccounted for from Vietnam and just recently, finally resolved the first Desert Storm POW MIA pilot who was shot down on the first days of that war.

All the fancy speeches from the pols this Memorial Day may make the families of lost ones feel better, that at least their sacrifice will not be forgotten, it still begs the question, why do we lose so many of our people to war and will it ever end?

I think about my friends who went and those who came back only to suffer in so many ways I couldn't even understand. Gut wrenching accounts still haunt the young and old servicemen and women and no matter what the cost, this country owes it to those who have served. The fact that one out of three homeless people are veterans shows us we need to do better.

My own personal beliefs aside, I will never be able to show my appreciation enough. So I will proudly fly my Stars and Stripes and POW MIA flags as I do every day, and thank those of you who have done what I could not do, go to war.

5 Comments:

At May 28, 2010 at 3:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eloquently stated Jim. Thanks for saying what so many of us are thinking.

 
At May 28, 2010 at 3:20 PM , Blogger Old soldier said...

Memorial Day. I hope my grandchildren will think of this as a day when we remember people who died in wars a long time ago, before we learned that war is not the answer. Until then, I honor those who served before me, after me, and with me and thank them for their sacrifice, which has been great.

 
At May 28, 2010 at 3:27 PM , Blogger Linda and George said...

We owe so much to those who have served, and continue to serve, this nation. I hope on this one day when we should remember and honor those men and woman, that all of you do that. It is the least we can do. And lets find out what happend to all the POW/MIA. We promise to never leave a soldier behind. We need to make good on that promise.

 
At May 28, 2010 at 4:36 PM , Blogger Arnold said...

Nice tribute. Hope Framingham residents remember this and show up for the services on Monday. You going to be there Pillsbury?

 
At May 28, 2010 at 5:05 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Memorial Day to my fellow bloggers. Enjoy the great weekend weather. See you all back here next week.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home