Thursday, October 25, 2018

The best buys at the grocery stores

If you can watch the report from channel 5.  We've been Whole Foods fans since they opened, but since being acquired by Amazon, they don't carry the same products as they used to.
Market Basket has never impressed me, aside from the owner who stood by his employees a few years ago when infighting happened. But those who look for some savings may have to look at Market Basket.


https://www.wcvb.com/article/ranking-new-england-grocery-stores-based-on-quality-and-price/24233020


Here are the top five stores in the price category, along with the total cost of the test groceries, according to Consumers' Checkbook:
  1. Market Basket - $164
  2. Walmart / Trader Joe's - $166
  3. Hannaford - $182
  4. Target - $184
  5. Wegmans - $194

4 Comments:

At October 26, 2018 at 9:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to shop Wegmans but I hate having to take my grocery cart through the parking garage to load up. Just not convenient at all. I have shopped Market Baskets in other areas and liked them but the one here in Ashland is just not well kept if you ask me so out of the mix as far as I am concerned. I know S&S is high, but it is close, so the money saved on gas to get there can even out the cost a bit. Overall we have seen our grocery prices go up more than 15% in the last 12 months. We are a family of just 2, seniors, on a fixed income. My wife cuts coupons and shops sales, but be still spend more than $175 a week on groceries. Last year at this time we were consistently just below $150. At $175 a week that is about 18% of our monthly income, so it matters.

 
At October 26, 2018 at 10:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is cheaper to eat at McDonalds or Burger King than it is to shop for food and cook it yourself. Wages are not increasing at the same rate as inflation so I am in worse shape this year than I was last year and I am one of the lucky ones who still works and makes a decent salary but I keep pushing back my retirement as I just don't see how I can afford it. My kids are buried in school debt so can't buy homes of their own so living in my house still to save money and I am not complaining as they help out a lot but what type of future do they have when food and rent are at prices they simply can not afford. But the rich are getting richer so this is not going to change anytime soon as they are all perfectly content

 
At October 26, 2018 at 10:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are lucky you can afford to shop at Whole Foods. Not in my price range

 
At October 26, 2018 at 11:07 AM , Blogger jim pillsbury said...

I should clarify...Steph shops at whole foods for our fish and meats. I shopped there years ago because they carried hemp products which at the time were outrageously priced. .

I'm thankful my oldest kids bought houses years ago before things got out of hand, price wise. We have helped 2 of them from time to time in crisis, but not now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home